Monday, November 15, 2010

Vegetable Shell Clear Soup with Crusty Focaccia

This came about tonight when I came home from writing at Panera Bread and wanted something hot to accompany a chunk of focaccia toasted topped with Provolone and Parmesan. In vegetabler oil, I sautéed chopped yellow onion with cubed fresh ginger, then added quarters of winter melon 1/8 inch thick and shell pasta. When the melon is completely covered with oil and beginning to turn translucent, I added strips of kale or mustard green, broccoli flowerets, and stringed snow peas, sprinkled half a teaspoon of Chinese Five Spice mix and cooked for a minute or so. I added hot vegetable stock, covered and simmered for 12 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Served garnished with Italian parsley sprig, with a side of toasted focaccia. I know. This is an international mongrel of a supper!

No comments: