Saturday, April 3, 2010

Asparagus Stir Fry & Steak Dinner

Asparagus, one of my favorite vegetables, is in season. When asparagus appears in the produce section for under two dollars a bunch, I know spring is fully underway. The slender stalks are best - sweet and crunchy. They require the lightest cooking. Tonight I cooked them in the same non-stick pan where I'd quickly seared cheap cuts of Angus beef. I threw in minced garlic, sliced green onions and sliced ginger, cooked these for a minute before adding the 1 1 1/2 inch asparagus segments. I tossed the mixture for a minute or so, added a touch of salt and sesame oil and dumped the whole unto the plate.

The steak was cooked quickly in the hot pan, sprayed lightly with olive oil then sprinkled with Merma's Open Season Whiskey Steak seasoning from Cabela's before serving. After stir-frying the asparagus in the same pan, I warmed a cup of cold Japanese Botan rice with some chopped roasted Poblano pepper. The trio made for a perfect supper the night before Easter as lamb caldereta simmered on the stove for the feast-day dinner the next day.

No comments: