Monday, April 5, 2010

Asparagus with Egg at Springtime


Asparagus and egg are both associated with spring, the first for being in season, the second for its symbolism of new life. They also pair well. Usually the egg is made into Hollandaise sauce. My introduction to fresh asparagus came my first spring in America. My cousin, Leah, was dating a Swiss guy, Robert, who served steamed asparagus that we dipped in mayonnaise!

Tonight's recipe is a lazy man's pairing. I had a couple of egg yolks fried earlier. I made a quick sauce of fresh tomato, garlic and scallions in a nonstick pan, then quickly cooked the asparagus in the sauce, adding the eggs at the end. Nonstick pan, a utility some fundamentalist cooks decry, to me is a blessing. I can cut the olive oil, just about the only oil aside from sesame oil for Chinese foods that I use nowadays, to the barest minimum. When searing leafy vegetables like lettuce I just spray the oil unto the pan. If I want to make a little sauce as I did tonight I pour in half a teaspoon just to accomplish frying instead of roasting.

No comments: