Sunday, April 25, 2010

Poulet a la Niçoise - Chicken in Thyme, Tomatoes and Black Olives

Chicken thighs were on sale the other week so it was time to make poulet a la Niçoise, one of my favorite chicken stews from southern France. It's simplicity itself, especially compared to other favorite French recipes. I modified it with a short cut using the fresh tomato-and-basil sauces I make all summer long with the fresh basil from my deck garden. Marinate the chicken in lemon juice, black pepper, thyme and salt then sauté in olive oil with julienned salt pork before adding chopped onions, chunks of fresh tomato, my tomato sauce (or your favorite tomato sauce recipe, or for that matter, chopped canned tomatoes), dry vermouth, bay leaf, oil-cured black olives and a little stock, and simmer for about 45 minutes until thickened. Wonderful with crusty bread or brown rice. A crisp salad with a simple olive-oil-and-red-wine-vinegar dressing would complement this well.

No comments: